- a game played with rackets and a shuttlecock, which is hit back and forth across a high net
- Also called: badminton cup a long refreshing drink of claret with soda water and sugar
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Sporta game played on a rectangular court by players with light rackets used to hit a shuttlecock over a high net.
- Sporta game played on a rectangular court by two players or two pairs of players equipped with light rackets used to volley a shuttlecock over a high net that divides the court in half. See illus. under racket.
- named after Badminton, the country seat of the duke of Beaufort in Gloucestershire, England 1835–45
- a village in SW England, in South Gloucestershire unitary authority, Gloucestershire: site of Badminton House, seat of the Duke of Beaufort; annual horse trials