WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
bal•co•ny /ˈbælkəni/USA pronunciation
n. [countable],pl. -nies.
- an elevated platform on the outside wall of a building.
- an upstairs seating area in a theater.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
balcony /ˈbælkənɪ/ n ( pl -nies)
Etymology: 17th Century: from Italian balcone, probably from Old High German balko beam; see balkˈbalconied adj
- a platform projecting from the wall of a building with a balustrade or railing along its outer edge, often with access from a door or window
- a gallery in a theatre or auditorium, above the dress circle
- US Canadian any circle or gallery in a theatre or auditorium including the dress circle
'balcony' also found in these entries:
In the English description: