- a richly ornamented silk and gold brocade
- a canopy of fabric or stone over an altar, shrine, or throne in a Christian church or carried in Christian religious processions over an object of veneration
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- TextilesAlso, baudekin. a silk brocade interwoven with gold or silver threads, used chiefly for ceremonial purposes.
- Architecturea permanent ornamental canopy, as above a freestanding altar or throne.
- a portable canopy carried in religious processions.
- Italian baldacchino, equivalent. to Baldacc(o) Baghdad (famous as a source of silk brocades) + -ino -ine1
- Medieval Latin baldakinus
- earlier baldakin 1250–1300