- a female ballet dancer
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Music and Dancea female ballet dancer.
- Music and Dancea principal female dancer in a ballet company. Cf. prima ballerina.
- Music and Danceany female ballet dancer.
- Clothinga woman's very low-heeled or heelless shoe or slipper, made to resemble a ballet slipper. Cf. ballet slipper.
- Old French; see -ery) + -ino -ine1
- Late Latin; see ball2) + -eria
- Italian, feminine of ballerino professional dancer, probably equivalent to baller(ia) dance (ball(are) to dance (