- any of various very small breeds of domestic fowl
- a small but aggressive person
- short for bantamweight
- Canadian an age level of between 13 and 15 in amateur sport, esp ice hockey
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Animal Husbandry[countable] a chicken of a very small size.
- Animal Husbandry(often cap.) a chicken of any of several varieties or breeds characterized by very small size.
- a small and feisty or quarrelsome person.
tiny:bantam editions of the classics.
- apparently after Bantam, through which such chickens may have been imported to Europe 1740–50
- 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged miniature, small, petite, wee, pygmy, Lilliputian.
Ban•tam (ban′təm; Du. bän täm′),USA pronunciation n.
- Place Namesa village in W Java, in S Indonesia: first Dutch settlement in the East Indies.