- a light flat-bottomed boat used on rivers in Canada and the northern US
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
(-tōz′; Fr. -tō′).USA pronunciation
- Dialect Terms, Naval TermsAlso, batteau. [Naut.]
- , Nautical, British Terms, Dialect Terms[Chiefly Canadian and Southern U.S.]a small, flat-bottomed rowboat used on rivers.
- Nauticala half-decked, sloop-rigged boat used for fishing on Chesapeake Bay;
- Nautical(in some regions) a scow.
- Civil Engineering, Naval Termsa pontoon of a floating bridge.
- Latin -ellus; see -elle
- Old English bāt boat) + -el diminutive suffix
- French; Old French batel, equivalent. to bat (
- 1705–15, American.