WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Nautical, Naval Termsa short length of rope for securing spars, coils of rope, etc., having an eye at one end and a thick knot or a toggle at the other, which is passed through the eye.
- Nautical, Naval Termsa grommet of rope, as one used as a handle or oarlock.
- Nautical, Naval Termsa grommet or eye on a block to which the standing end of a fall can be secured.
- Nautical, Naval Termsa wooden cleat or hook secured to the shrouds of a sailing vessel to hold tacks and sheets not in use.
- origin, originally uncertain 1760–70
Beck•et (bek′it),USA pronunciation n.