- when intr, often followed by for: to solicit (for money, food, etc), esp in the street
- to ask (someone) for (something or leave to do something) formally, humbly, or earnestly: I beg forgiveness, I beg to differ
- (intransitive) (of a dog) to sit up with forepaws raised expectantly
- beg the question ⇒ to evade the issue
- to assume the thing under examination as proved
- to suggest that a question needs to be asked: the firm's success begs the question: why aren't more companies doing the same?
- go begging, go a-begging ⇒ to be unwanted or unused
See also beg offEtymology: 13th Century: probably from Old English bedecian; related to Gothic bidagwa beggar