- the state or fact of existing; existence
- essential nature; self
- something that exists or is thought to exist, esp something that cannot be assigned to any category: a being from outer space
- a person; human being
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
[uncountable] the fact of existing;
existence:brought this council into being to find new solutions. [uncountable] conscious, living existence; life:How did we come into being? [countable] a living thing;
creature:Are there intelligent beings on other planets? [countable] a human being; person.
- Slang Terms[~ + how/that][Chiefly Dialect.]since;
considering:Being that we don't really know you, how can we vote for you?
- (used in a phrase to explain something about the rest of the sentence):I was scared and feeling pretty anxious, this being my first time in a new country.
- to have presence in the realm of perceived reality; exist; live: I think, therefore I am, not all that is can be understood
- (used in the perfect or past perfect tenses only) to pay a visit; go: have you been to Spain?
- to take place; occur: my birthday was last Thursday
- (copula) used as a linking verb between the subject of a sentence and its noun or adjective complement or complementing phrase. In this case be expresses the relationship of either essential or incidental equivalence or identity (John is a man; John is a musician) or specifies an essential or incidental attribute (honey is sweet; Susan is angry). It is also used with an adverbial complement to indicate a relationship of location in space or time (Bill is at the office; the dance is on Saturday)
- (takes a present participle) forms the progressive present tense: the man is running
- (takes a past participle) forms the passive voice of all transitive verbs and (archaically) certain intransitive ones: a good film is being shown on television tonight, I am done
- (takes an infinitive) expresses intention, expectation, supposition, or obligation: the president is to arrive at 9.30, you are not to leave before I say so