- the state or fact of existing; existence
- essential nature; self
- something that exists or is thought to exist, esp something that cannot be assigned to any category: a being from outer space
- a person; human being
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- [uncountable] the fact of existing;
existence:brought this council into being to find new solutions.
- [uncountable] conscious, living existence; life:How did we come into being?
- [countable] a living thing;
creature:Are there intelligent beings on other planets?
- [countable] a human being; person.
- [~ + how/that][Chiefly Dialect.]since;
considering:Being that we don't really know you, how can we vote for you?
- (used in a phrase to explain something about the rest of the sentence):I was scared and feeling pretty anxious, this being my first time in a new country.