- a principle, proposition, idea, etc, accepted as true
- opinion; conviction
- religious faith
- trust or confidence, as in a person or a person's abilities, probity, etc
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- [countable] something believed:a deep belief in his ability to succeed.
- [uncountable] confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof:My belief in God has nothing to do with my scientific inquiries.
- [uncountable] confidence; faith;
trust: children's belief in their parents.
- [countable] something believed as a part of faith:religious beliefs.