- a backwater channel that forms a lagoon or pool
- a branch of a river running to a dead end
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- British Termsa branch of a river flowing away from the main stream but leading to no other body of water;
a blind or dead-end channel.
- British Termsa creek bed holding water only in the rainy season;
a dried-up watercourse.
- British Termsa stagnant backwater or slough formed by receding floodwater.
- Wiradjuri bilabaŋ creek that runs only during the rainy season, equivalent. to bila river + baŋ poss. suffix