WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a person who observes overly strict principles, esp. regarding pleasure;
prude:The town bluenoses wouldn't talk to her.
- a puritanical person;
- Canada, British Terms(cap.) Also, Blue′ Nose′. an inhabitant of the Maritime Provinces, esp. of Nova Scotia.
- British Terms, Naval Terms[Naut. Slang.]
- a sailing vessel of Nova Scotia.
- a seaman on such a vessel.
- 1780–85 (def. 2, 3); 1925–30, American. (def. 1); blue + nose; (def. 1) compare blue law, etc; (def. 2, 3) origin, originally a derisive name for a person residing in Nova Scotia before the Loyalists' arrival; allegedly so called from a variety of potato with a bluish tip, though there is no certain evidence for this or any of various other explanations of the name