- a promotional description, as found on the jackets of books
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a brief notice that describes a book, play, etc., esp. one full of praise:The blurb on the book jacket promised "action, thrills, adventure, and romance.''
- a brief advertisement or announcement, esp. a laudatory one:She wrote a good blurb for her friend's novel.
- to advertise or praise in the manner of a blurb.
- allegedly coined by French. German. Burgess 1910–15, American.