- the art of growing dwarfed ornamental varieties of trees or shrubs in small shallow pots or trays by selective pruning, etc
- a tree or shrub grown by this method
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2018
- Botany a tree or shrub made very small by cutting back the roots and pinching the branches:[countable]a number of bonsai in the botanical gardens.
- Botany, Fine Art the art of growing such a plant:[uncountable]courses in bonsai.
- Botanya tree or shrub that has been dwarfed, as by pruning the roots and pinching, and is grown in a pot or other container and trained to produce a desired shape or effect.
- Botany, Fine Artthe art or hobby of developing and growing such a plant or plants.
- Middle Chinese, equivalent. to Chinese pén tray + zāi plant, shoot
- Japanese bon-sai tray planting