- the keeping of accounts
- learning through the study of books rather than from practical experience
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- work or research that requires studying or reading, as distinguished from laboratory experimentation or the like.
- Businessbookkeeping or other paperwork necessary to the running of a business.
- Printingwork on books or pamphlets, as distinguished from work on newspapers.
- 1840–50; book + work; compare Old English bōcweorc study, independently formed from same elements