- conciseness of expression; lack of verbosity
- a short duration; brief time
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- shortness (of speech, etc.);
briefness:the brevity of life.
- shortness of time or duration;
briefness:the brevity of human life.
- the quality of expressing much in few words;
terseness:Brevity is the soul of wit.
- Anglo-French brevite, Old French brievete. See brief, -ity
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged compactness, succinctness, pithiness. Brevity, conciseness refer to the use of few words in speaking. Brevity emphasizes the short duration of speech:reduced to extreme brevity.Conciseness emphasizes compactness of expression:clear in spite of great conciseness.
- 1, 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged length.