- the quality of being capable; ability
- the quality of being susceptible to the use or treatment indicated: the capability of a metal to be fused
- (usually plural) a characteristic that may be developed; potential aptitude
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- the quality of being capable;
ability:His capability was unquestionable.
- the ability to undergo or be affected by a given treatment or action:the capability of glass in resisting heat.
- Usually, capabilities. qualities, abilities, features, etc., that can be used or developed;
potential:Though dilapidated, the house has great capabilities.
- Late Latin capābili(s) capable + -ty2
- Middle French capabilité)
- ( 1580–90