- a sudden or unpredictable change of attitude, behaviour, etc; whim
- a tendency to such changes
- another word for capriccio
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [countable] a sudden, unpredictable change.
- [uncountable] a tendency to change one's mind without motive.
ca•pri•cious•ness, n. [uncountable]
- a sudden, unpredictable change, as of one's mind or the weather.
- a tendency to change one's mind without apparent or adequate motive;
capriciousness:With the caprice of a despotic king, he alternated between kindness and cruelty.
- Music and Dancecapriccio (def. 1).
- Italian; see capriccio
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged vagary, notion, whim, fancy.
- Music and Dancea composition in a free, irregular style.
- a caper;
- a whim;
- Italian, perh. a shortening of caporiccio head with bristling hair
- a lively piece composed freely and without adhering to the rules for any specific musical form