- a festive occasion or period marked by merrymaking, processions, etc: esp in some Roman Catholic countries, the period just before Lent
- (as modifier): a carnival atmosphere
- a travelling fair having merry-go-rounds, etc
- a show or display arranged as an amusement
- Austral a sports meeting
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [countable] a traveling amusement show having games, rides, etc.
- [countable] a festival: a winter carnival.
- the season preceding Lent:[uncountable]We went to Brazil for carnival.
- a traveling amusement show, having sideshows, rides, etc.
- any merrymaking, revelry, or festival, as a program of sports or entertainment:a winter carnival.
- the season immediately preceding Lent, often observed with merrymaking;
- Latin levāre to lift
- Latin carnem, accusative of caro) + levare
- Italian carnevale, Old Italian carnelevare taking meat away, equivalent. to carne flesh (
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged fair, celebration, fete, holiday.