- either of two unrelated plants, Chelidonium majus (greater celandine) or Ranunculus ficaria (lesser celandine)
See lesser celandine
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Plant BiologyAlso called greater celandine, swallowwort. an Old World plant, Chelidonium majus, of the poppy family, having yellow flowers.
- Plant BiologyAlso called lesser celandine. an Old World plant, Ranunculus ficaria, of the buttercup family, having fleshy, heart-shaped leaves and solitary yellow flowers.
- Greek chelīdónion, derivative of chelīdó̄n swallow; said to be so called because it blooms when the swallows return in spring
- Latin chelīdonia greater celandine, chelīdonium lesser celandine
- Middle English selandyne, variant of celydon 1275–1325