- Brit any of several special taxes, such as a land tax in Scotland
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- British Termsa tax, assessment, or lien.
- (in Scotland) a land tax.
- (in Ireland) a military assessment.
- (in India) an import or sales tax on a commodity.
- British Termsto tax;
- 1400–50; late Middle English; aphetic variant of obsolete assess assessment, noun, nominal use of assess (verb, verbal)
cess2 (ses),USA pronunciation n. [Irish Eng. Informal.]
- British Termsluck (usually used in the expression bad cess to):Bad cess to them!
- perh. aphetic variant of success 1855–60
- an Irish slang word for luck