- marked by fluctuations of fortune (esp in the phrase a chequered career)
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- showing changes in different directions:a checkered past.
- marked by numerous and various shifts or changes;
variegated:a checkered career.
- marked by dubious episodes;
suspect in character or quality:a checkered past.
- marked with squares:a checkered fabric.
- diversified in color;
alternately light and shadowed:the checkered shade beneath trees.
- Middle English. See checker1, -ed2 1350–1400
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . varied, uneven, irregular, seesaw.