WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
Christ /kraɪst/USA pronunciation
n. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Religion[proper noun] Jesus of Nazareth, held by Christians to be the son of God and the Messiah.
- Religion[often: the + ~] (in the New Testament) the Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament .
- Religion someone regarded as similar to Jesus of Nazareth:[countable]Several false Christs proclaimed themselves.
(krīst),USA pronunciation n.
- ReligionJesus of Nazareth, held by Christians to be the fulfillment of prophecies in the Old Testament regarding the eventual coming of a Messiah.
- Religionthe Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament (used chiefly in versions of the New Testament).
- Religionsomeone regarded as similar to Jesus of Nazareth.
- Greek chrīstos anointed, translation of Hebrew māshīaḥ anointed, Messiah
- Latin Chrīstus
- learned respelling of Middle English, Old English Crīst
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Christ /kraɪst/ n
- Jesus of Nazareth (Jesus Christ), regarded by Christians as fulfilling Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah
- the Messiah or anointed one of God as the subject of Old Testament prophecies
- an image or picture of Christ
See also JesusEtymology: Old English Crīst, from Latin Chrīstus, from Greek khristos anointed one (from khriein to anoint), translating Hebrew māshīah Messiah
- taboo slang an oath expressing annoyance, surprise, etc
'christ' also found in these entries: