- a cylindrical roll of cured tobacco leaves, for smoking
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- a cylinder of tobacco prepared for smoking:some fine Havana cigars.
- Idiomsno cigar, (used to indicate that an effort was not good enough to achieve or accomplish something):a nice try, but no cigar.
- a more or less cylindrical roll of tobacco cured for smoking, of any of various lengths, thicknesses, degrees of straightness, etc., usually wrapped in a tobacco leaf.
- Idiomsno cigar, [Informal.]not being a winning or successful effort, as if not good enough to earn a cigar as a prize:He made a good try at fielding the ball, but no cigar.
- Spanish cigarro