WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
cir•cu•lar /ˈsɝkyəlɚ/USA pronunciation
adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- having the form of a circle; round:A bright, circular object suddenly appeared in the sky.
- of or relating to a circle[usually: before a noun]the circular diameter.
- moving in or forming a circle or a circuit:a circular path.
- Philosophyattempting to prove a conclusion by using a statement that depends on the conclusion:a circular argument.
- [before a noun](of a letter, etc.) intended for general circulation.
cir•cu•lar•i•ty/ˌsɝkyəˈlærɪti/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]
- a letter or notice intended for the public or for anyone to see:She posted the circular on the bulletin board.
(sûr′kyə lər), adj.
- having the form of a circle;
round:a circular tower.
- of or pertaining to a circle:a circular plane.
- moving in or forming a circle or a circuit:the circular rotation of the earth.
- moving or occurring in a cycle or round:the circular succession of the seasons.
- roundabout; indirect;
circuitous:a circular route.
- Philosophy[Logic.]of or pertaining to reasoning in which the conclusion is ostensibly proved, but in actuality it or its equivalent has been assumed as a premise.
- pertaining to a circle or set of persons.
- (of a letter, memorandum, etc.) addressed to a number of persons or intended for general circulation.
- a letter, advertisement, notice, or statement for circulation among the general public.
cir′cu•lar′i•ty, cir′cu•lar•ness, n.
9 . handbill, flier, leaflet.
- Latin circulāris, equivalent. to circul(us) circle + -āris -ar1
- late Middle English 1375–1425
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
circular /ˈsɜːkjʊlə/ adj
- of, involving, resembling, or shaped like a circle
- (of arguments) futile because the truth of the premises cannot be established independently of the conclusion
- travelling or occurring in a cycle
- (of letters, announcements, etc) intended for general distribution
circularity /ˌsɜːkjʊˈlærɪtɪ/, ˈcircularness n ˈcircularly adv
- a printed or duplicated advertisement or notice for mass distribution
'circular' also found in these entries: