WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- watchful and careful; avoiding risks: circumspect behavior.
cir•cum•spect•ly, adv. See -spec-.
- watchful and discreet;
- well-considered:circumspect ambition.
- Latin circumspectus (past participle of circumspicere to look around), equivalent. to circum- circum- + spec(ere) to look + -tus past participle suffix
- late Middle English 1375–1425
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged careful, vigilant, guarded.
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged careless, indiscreet.