- a picnic, often by the sea, at which clams, etc, are baked
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a seaside picnic at which clams and other seafood are baked.
- Informal TermsInformal. any social gathering, esp. a noisy one.
- a picnic or social gathering at the seashore at which clams and other seafood are baked, sometimes with corn and other items, traditionally on hot stones under a covering of seaweed.
- Informal Termsany social gathering, esp. a very noisy one.
- clam1 + bake 1825–35, American.