- a drink consisting of an infusion of the roasted and ground or crushed seeds of the coffee tree
- (as modifier): coffee grounds
- Also called: coffee beans the beanlike seeds of the coffee tree, used to make this beverage
- a medium to dark brown colour
- (as adjective): a coffee carpet
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [uncountable] a beverage made from hot water poured over the roasted ground or crushed seeds(ˈcof•fee ˌbeans) of the fruit of certain coffee trees.
- Plant Biology[uncountable] the seeds or fruits themselves, or a powder similar to the ground seeds, used to make the beverage.
- Plant Biology[uncountable] a tropical tree that produces coffee beans.
- a cup of coffee:[countable]I'll have two coffees, one with sugar and one without.
- [uncountable] medium to dark brown.
adj. [usually before a noun]
- of a coffee color.
- flavored with coffee.
- a beverage consisting of a decoction or infusion of the roasted ground or crushed seeds(cof′fee beans′) of the two-seeded fruit(cof′fee ber′ry) of certain coffee trees.
- Plant Biologythe seeds or fruit themselves.
- Plant Biologyany tropical tree or shrub of the genus Coffea, of the madder family, esp. C. arabica and C. canephora, cultivated commercially. Cf. Arabian coffee, robusta coffee.
- a cup of coffee:We ordered four coffees and three doughnuts.
- a social gathering at which coffee and other refreshments are served.
- medium to dark brown.
- Arabic qahwah
- Turkish kahve
- Italian caffè