- any hairy Eurasian boraginaceous plant of the genus Symphytum, having blue, purplish-pink, or white flowers
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Plant Biologyany coarse Eurasian plant belonging to the genus Symphytum, of the borage family, as the widely cultivated S. officinale, having hairy, lance-shaped leaves and drooping clusters of small, white, rose-colored, or purplish flowers.
- Medieval Latin *confervia for Latin conferva conferva
- Anglo-French cumfirie, Old French confire
- Middle English cumfirie, conferye 1275–1325