- to seize for public or military use
- to seize arbitrarily
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Militaryto seize (private property) for military or other public use:The military commandeered all the jeeps.
- to seize or take unfairly:He commandeered the best office furniture for his own use.
- Militaryto order or force into active military service.
- Militaryto seize (private property) for military or other public use:The police officer commandeered a taxi and took off after the getaway car.
- to seize arbitrarily.
- French commander to command
- Afrikaans kommandeer