WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
con•fes•sion /kənˈfɛʃən/USA pronunciation
- [uncountable] an act of confessing:Confession is good for the soul.
- Religion[countable] something confessed:the candidate's confessions of wrongdoing.
- [countable] a formal acknowledgment of guilt by a person accused of a crime:He signed his confession and they took him off to the cell.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
confession /kənˈfɛʃən/ n
- the act of confessing
- something confessed
- an acknowledgment or declaration, esp of one's faults, misdeeds, or crimes
- chiefly the act of a penitent accusing himself or herself of his or her sins
- confession of faith ⇒ a formal public avowal of religious beliefs
- a religious denomination or sect united by a common system of beliefs
'confession' also found in these entries: