- the act of confusing or the state of being confused
- disorder; jumble
- bewilderment; perplexity
- lack of clarity; indistinctness
- embarrassment; abashment
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
puzzlement:Imagine our confusion when I started teaching in the wrong room.
- [often: in + ~] disorder; chaos;
upheaval: The army retreated in confusion.
- lack of clearness or distinctness:Your writing suffers from too much confusion.
- the act of confusing.
- the state of being confused.
chaos:The army retreated in confusion.
- lack of clearness or distinctness:a confusion in his mind between right and wrong.
- perplexity; bewilderment:The more difficult questions left us in complete confusion.
- embarrassment or abashment:He blushed in confusion.
- [Psychiatry.]a disturbed mental state;
- [Archaic.]defeat, overthrow, or ruin.
- Latin confūsiōn- (stem of confūsiō). See confuse, -ion
- Middle English ( 1300–50