WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
con•ga /ˈkɑŋgə/USA pronunciation
n., pl. -gas,v., -gaed, -ga•ing.
v. [no object]
- a Cuban dance of three steps forward followed by a kick performed by a group in single file.
- a tall, cone-shaped Afro-Cuban drum, played with the hands.
- to dance a conga.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
conga /ˈkɒŋɡə/ n
vb ( -gas, -gaing, -gaed)
- a Latin American dance of three steps and a kick to each bar, usually performed by a number of people in single file
- Also called: conga drum a large tubular bass drum, used chiefly in Latin American and funk music and played with the hands
Etymology: 20th Century: from American Spanish, feminine of congo belonging to the Congo
- (intransitive) to dance the conga
'conga' also found in these entries:
In the English description: