- infrequent or difficult evacuation of the bowels, with hard faeces, caused by functional or organic disorders or improper diet
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Pathologya condition of the bowels in which the feces are hardened and defecation is difficult.
- Pathologya condition of the bowels in which the feces are dry and hardened and evacuation is difficult and infrequent.
- Informal Termsa state of slowing down, sluggishness, or inactivity.
- [Obs.]the act of crowding anything into a smaller compass;
- Late Latin constīpātiōn- (stem of constīpātiō). See constipate, -ion
- Middle French)
- late Middle English constipacioun ( 1375–1425