- a container, vessel, or apparatus for cooling, such as a heat exchanger
- a drink consisting of wine, fruit juice, and carbonated water
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a container for keeping something cool:The cooler was loaded with soda.
- water cooler :People stood around the cooler chatting.
- Slang Terms[usually: the + ~]
- a container or apparatus, as an insulated chest, in which something may be cooled or kept cool.
- anything that cools or makes cool;
- an air conditioner.
- Food, Winea tall drink, consisting of liquor, soda, and a fruit garnish.
- See water cooler.
- Slang Termsthe cooler, jail:He was in the cooler for three months for petty theft.
- Sport[Ice Hockey Slang.]See penalty box.
- cool + -er1 1565–75