- the mature female of any species of cattle, esp domesticated cattle
- the mature female of various other mammals, such as the elephant, whale, and seal
- (not in technical use) any domestic species of cattle
- informal a disagreeable woman
- Austral NZ slang something objectionable (esp in the phrase a fair cow)
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Zoologythe mature female of cattle:The cows were kept for their milk.
- Animal Husbandry, Zoology, Informal TermsInformal. a domestic bovine of either sex and any age:Look at all the cows in the field.
- Zoologythe female of various other large animals, such as the elephant.
- Idiomshave a cow,[Slang.] to become very excited or angry; have a fit:told his teacher not to have a cow just because he forgot his homework.
cow2 /kaʊ/USA pronunciation v. [~ + object]
to frighten with threats;
intimidate:I was cowed into agreeing with the boss.
- (transitive) to frighten or overawe, as with threats