ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
cream /krim/USA pronunciation
n. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
v. [~ + object]
- Food the fatty, smooth, thick part of milk[uncountable]I'll take cream and sugar in my coffee, please.
- Clothing a substance like this, containing medicine or other ingredients, applied to the skin[uncountable]some first-aid cream for a rash.
- Food any of various foods made with cream or milk or that are thick and smooth like cream[uncountable]cream of mushroom soup; Bavarian cream.
- the best part of anything[countable]the cream of society.
- [uncountable] a yellowish white color.
- Foodto mix (butter and sugar, etc.) to a smooth, creamy mass:Cream the mixture thoroughly.
- to take the best part of[~ ( + off) + object]The defense ministry creamed (off) the brightest engineers.
- to beat up; hit or strike badly:The gang creamed a few victims.
- to win decisively over:We creamed the Giants by a score of 50-0.
- of the color cream;
- Foodthe fatty part of milk, which rises to the surface when the liquid is allowed to stand unless homogenized.
- Clothinga soft solid or thick liquid containing medicaments or other specific ingredients, applied externally for a prophylactic, therapeutic, or cosmetic purpose.
- FoodUsually,creams. a soft-centered confection of fondant or fudge coated with chocolate.
- Fooda purée or soup containing cream or milk:cream of tomato soup.
- the best part of anything:the cream of society.
- a yellowish white; light tint of yellow or buff.
- Idiomscream of the crop, the best or choicest:a college that accepts only students who are the cream of the crop.
- to form cream.
- to froth;
- Informal Terms[Informal.]to advance or favor only the wealthiest, most skilled or talented, etc., esp. so as to reap the benefits oneself:Management is creaming by advancing only the most productive workers.
Also,cream one's jeans. Slang (vulgar).
- to have an orgasm, esp. to ejaculate or experience glandular lubrication of the vagina.
- to be overcome, as in rapturous admiration or delight.
- Foodto work (butter and sugar, or the like) to a smooth, creamy mass.
- Foodto prepare (chicken, oysters, vegetables, etc.) with cream, milk, or a cream sauce.
- Foodto allow (milk) to form cream.
- Foodto skim (milk).
- Foodto separate as cream.
- to take the cream or best part of.
- Clothingto use a cosmetic cream on.
- to add cream to (tea, coffee, etc.).
- to beat or damage severely; lambaste.
- to accomplish, esp. to pass (a test or course), with great ease and success:She creamed the math test, getting the highest grade in the class.
- of the color cream;
- Late Latin chrīsma chrism
- Anglo-French, Old French cresme
- Middle English creme 1300–50
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
cream /kriːm/ n
- the fatty part of milk, which rises to the top if the milk is allowed to stand
- (as modifier): cream buns
- anything resembling cream in consistency: shoe cream, beauty cream
- the best one or most essential part of something; pick: the cream of the bunch, the cream of the joke
- a soup containing cream or milk: cream of chicken soup
- any of various dishes, cakes, biscuits, etc, resembling or containing cream
- a confection made of fondant or soft fudge, often covered in chocolate
- cream sherry ⇒ a full-bodied sweet sherry
- a yellowish-white colour
- (as adjective): cream wallpaper
Etymology: 14th Century: from Old French cresme, from Late Latin crāmum cream, of Celtic origin; influenced by Church Latin chrisma unction, chrismˈcreamˌlike adj
- (transitive) to skim or otherwise separate the cream from (milk)
- (transitive) to beat (foodstuffs, esp butter and sugar) to a light creamy consistency
- (intransitive) to form cream
- (transitive) to add or apply cream or any creamlike substance to: to cream one's face, to cream coffee
- (transitive) sometimes followed by off: to take away the best part of
- (transitive) to prepare or cook (vegetables, chicken, etc) with cream or milk
- to allow (milk) to form a layer of cream on its surface or (of milk) to form such a layer
- (transitive) slang chiefly US Canadian Austral to beat thoroughly
- (intransitive) slang (of a man) to ejaculate during orgasm
'cream' also found in these entries: