WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
cream /krim/USA pronunciation
v. [~ + object]
- [uncountable] the fatty, smooth, thick part of milk:I'll take cream and sugar in my coffee, please.
- [uncountable] a substance like this, containing medicine or other ingredients, applied to the skin:some first-aid cream for a rash.
- [uncountable] any of various foods made with cream or milk or that are thick and smooth like cream:cream of mushroom soup; Bavarian cream.
- [countable] the best part of anything:the cream of society.
- [uncountable] a yellowish white color.
- to mix (butter and sugar, etc.) to a smooth, creamy mass:Cream the mixture thoroughly.
- [~ ( + off) + object] to take the best part of:The defense ministry creamed (off) the brightest engineers.
- to beat up; hit or strike badly:The gang creamed a few victims.
- to win decisively over:We creamed the Giants by a score of 50-0.
- of the color cream;
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
cream /kriːm/ n
- the fatty part of milk, which rises to the top if the milk is allowed to stand
- (as modifier): cream buns
- anything resembling cream in consistency: shoe cream, beauty cream
- the best one or most essential part of something; pick: the cream of the bunch, the cream of the joke
- a soup containing cream or milk: cream of chicken soup
- any of various dishes, cakes, biscuits, etc, resembling or containing cream
- a confection made of fondant or soft fudge, often covered in chocolate
- cream sherry ⇒ a full-bodied sweet sherry
- a yellowish-white colour
- (as adjective): cream wallpaper
Etymology: 14th Century: from Old French cresme, from Late Latin crāmum cream, of Celtic origin; influenced by Church Latin chrisma unction, chrismˈcreamˌlike adj
- (transitive) to skim or otherwise separate the cream from (milk)
- (transitive) to beat (foodstuffs, esp butter and sugar) to a light creamy consistency
- (intransitive) to form cream
- (transitive) to add or apply cream or any creamlike substance to: to cream one's face, to cream coffee
- (transitive) sometimes followed by off: to take away the best part of
- (transitive) to prepare or cook (vegetables, chicken, etc) with cream or milk
- to allow (milk) to form a layer of cream on its surface or (of milk) to form such a layer
- (transitive) slang chiefly US Canadian Austral to beat thoroughly
- (intransitive) slang (of a man) to ejaculate during orgasm
'cream' also found in these entries:
In the English description: