- an act or omission prohibited and punished by law
- unlawful acts in general
- an evil act
- informal something to be regretted
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Law[countable] an action considered harmful to the public good and legally prohibited:He had committed several crimes: murder, burglary, and rape.
- [uncountable] the activity of such wrongdoing, or those performing it:a new program to fight crime in the city; the head of organized crime.
- [countable] any serious wrongdoing:crimes against humanity.
- [countable] a foolish act or practice: It's a crime to let that beautiful garden go to ruin.
an offense against propriety. sin means a breaking of a moral or divine law: the sin of envy.