WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- to determine the accuracy of (something) by checking it with various sources.
- Sport[Ice Hockey.]to execute a cross-check on (an opponent).
- the act of cross-checking.
- a means of cross-checking:I examined contemporary newspaper reports as a cross-check on his account.
- Sport[Ice Hockey.]an obstructing or impeding of the movement or progress of an opponent by placing the stick, with both hands, across the opponent's body or face. Cf. check (def. 42).