- an official regulation setting restrictions on movement, esp after a specific time at night
- the time set as a deadline by such a regulation
- (in medieval Europe) the ringing of a bell to prompt people to extinguish fires and lights
- the time at which the curfew bell was rung
- the bell itself
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- an order establishing a time after which certain regulations apply, esp. that no unauthorized persons may be outdoors or that places of public assembly must be closed:The army imposed a curfew on certain days and all evenings.
- a regulation requiring a person to be home at a stated time, such as one imposed by a parent on a child:Parents should establish a curfew and make sure it is obeyed.
- the time at which a curfew starts:must get home before my curfew.
- the period during which a curfew is in effect:I was out during the curfew.