- to waste time idly; dawdle
- (usually followed by with) to deal frivolously or lightly with; trifle; toy: to dally with someone's affections
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- to waste time; delay:Come straight home and don't dally.
- to act playfully coy with;
flirt:dallied with every handsome man.
dal•li•er, n. [countable]
- to waste time;
- to act playfully, esp. in an amorous or flirtatious way.
- to play mockingly;
trifle:to dally with danger.
- to waste (time) (usually fol. by away).
- Anglo-French dalier to chat, of uncertain origin, originally
- Middle English dalien 1250–1300
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See loiter.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged flirt, tease, trifle.
- 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged toy.