- any one of the 10 black-belt grades of proficiency
- a competitor entitled to dan grading
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Sporta degree of expertise in karate, judo, tae kwon do, etc., usually signified by the wearing of a cloth belt of a particular color;
level:a sixth-degree dan.
- Middle Chinese, equivalent. to Chinese duàn step, grade
Dan (dan),USA pronunciation n.
- Biblea son of Jacob and Bilhah. Gen. 30:6.
- Bibleone of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
- Bible, Place Namesthe northernmost city of ancient Palestine.
- Bible, Idiomsfrom Dan to Beersheba, from one outermost extreme or limit to the other. Judges 20:1.
- a male given name, form of Daniel.
Dan (dan),USA pronunciation n. [Archaic.]
- a title of honor equivalent to master or sir: Dan Chaucer.
- Medieval Latin domnus, contraction of Latin dominus lord, master
- Old French danz
- Middle English 1275–1325
- BibleDaniel (def. 1).
- Language VarietiesAlso, Dan Danish.
- the fourth son of Jacob (Genesis 30:1–6)
- the tribe descended from him
- a city in the northern territory of Canaan