ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
deb•u•tante or déb•u•tante /ˈdɛbyʊˌtɑnt/USA pronunciation
n. [countable]WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- a young woman receiving her first formal introduction into society.
(deb′yŏŏ tänt′, -tant′),USA pronunciation n.
- a young woman making a debut into society.
- French; feminine of débutant debutant
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
debutante /ˈdɛbjʊˌtɑːnt -ˌtænt/ n
Etymology: 19th Century: from French, from débuter to lead off in a game, make one's first appearance; see debut
- a young woman of upper-class background who is presented to society, usually at a formal ball
- a girl or young woman regarded as being upper-class, wealthy, and of a frivolous or snobbish social set
'debutante' also found in these entries: