- to pour (a liquid, such as wine) from one container to another, esp without disturbing any sediment
- (transitive) to rehouse (people) while their homes are being rebuilt or refurbished
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- to pour (a liquid) from one container to another, often slowly and carefully.
- to pour (wine or other liquid) gently so as not to disturb the sediment.
- to pour (a liquid) from one container to another.
- Greek kánthos corner of the eye, tire) + -āre infinitive suffix
- Medieval Latin dēcanthāre, equivalent. to Latin dē- de- + Medieval Latin canth(us) spout, rim of a vessel (Latin: iron band round a wheel