- government by the people or their elected representatives
- a political or social unit governed ultimately by all its members
- the practice or spirit of social equality
- a social condition of classlessness and equality
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- [uncountable] government by the people;
a form of government in which the supreme power rests with the people and is used directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
- [countable] a state, country, or nation having such a form of government.
- [uncountable] a state or condition of society in which there is formal equality of rights and privileges:democracy in the workplace.