- the sweet, usually last course of a meal
- chiefly Brit (esp formerly) fruit, dates, nuts, etc, served at the end of a meal
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Fooda sweet food, such as cake, served as the final course of a meal: [uncountable]Would you like dessert?[countable]Cut back on your desserts.
- Foodcake, pie, fruit, pudding, ice cream, etc., served as the final course of a meal.
- British Termsa serving of fresh fruit after the main course of a meal.
- French, derivative of desservir to clear the table. See dis-1, serve