- the identification of diseases by the examination of symptoms and signs and by other investigations
- an opinion or conclusion so reached
- thorough analysis of facts or problems in order to gain understanding and aid future planning
- an opinion or conclusion reached through such analysis
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- an analysis of the cause or nature of a problem: [countable]a careful diagnosis of our problems in the sales department.[uncountable]careful diagnosis of the problems in our schools.
di•ag•nos•ti•cian /ˌdaɪægnɑˈstɪʃən/USA pronunciation n. [countable]See -gnos-.
- the process of determining by examination the nature and circumstances of a diseased condition.
- the decision reached from such an examination. Abbr.: Dx
- Biologyscientific determination;
a description that classifies a group or taxon precisely.
- a determining or analysis of the cause or nature of a problem or situation.
- an answer or solution to a problematic situation.
- Greek diágnōsis a distinguishing. See dia-, -gnosis