- a reference resource, in printed or electronic form, that consists of an alphabetical list of words with their meanings and parts of speech, and often a guide to accepted pronunciation and syllabification, irregular inflections of words, derived words of different parts of speech, and etymologies
- a similar reference work giving equivalent words in two or more languages. Such dictionaries often consist of two or more parts, in each of which the alphabetical list is given in a different language
- a reference publication listing words or terms of a particular subject or activity, giving information about their meanings and other attributes: a dictionary of gardening
- a collection of information or examples with the entries alphabetically arranged: a dictionary of quotations
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- a book containing the words of a language, usually in alphabetical order, with information about their meanings, pronunciations, special forms, etc.;
such a book having the words of one language expressed in another language:a learner's dictionary of English; a Norwegian-English dictionary.
- a book giving information on particular subjects or on a particular class of names, facts, etc., usually arranged alphabetically:a biographical dictionary.
- Computinga list of words used by a word-processing program to check spellings in text.