- decree or settlement imposed, esp by a ruler or a victorious nation
- a dogmatic statement
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Governmenta harsh, punitive settlement or decree imposed unilaterally on a defeated nation, political party, etc.
- any decree or authoritative statement:The Board of Education issued a diktat that all employees must report an hour earlier.
- Latin dictātus, past participle of dictāre to dictate
- German: literally, something dictated