- a meal taken in the evening
- a meal taken at midday, esp when it is the main meal of the day; lunch
- a formal evening meal, as of a club, society, etc
- (modifier): dinner plate, dinner table, dinner hour
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- the main meal of the day: [uncountable]We usually have dinner around six or six-thirty.[countable]We ate our dinners outside.
- a formal meal in honor of some person or occasion[countable]We gave him a going-away dinner.
- the main meal of the day, eaten in the evening or at midday.
- a formal meal in honor of some person or occasion.
- See table d'hôte.
- Old French disner (noun, nominal use of verb, verbal); see dine
- Middle English diner 1250–1300