- a meal taken in the evening
- a meal taken at midday, esp when it is the main meal of the day; lunch
- a formal evening meal, as of a club, society, etc
- (modifier): dinner plate, dinner table, dinner hour
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- the main meal of the day: [uncountable]We usually have dinner around six or six-thirty.[countable]We ate our dinners outside.
- [countable] a formal meal in honor of some person or occasion:We gave him a going-away dinner. Many people use the words dinner and supper to mean the same thing, "a meal in the evening,'' but dinner is usually more formal. For some people, lunch is the preferred word for "meal at midday,'' unless the meal is unusually large, formal, or special, in which case it may also be called dinner.